#profile-container h2.sidebar-title {display:none;}

Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Stereotypes: What a load of crap

What is with stereotyping people these days, what happened to the good old days where people were people and did things for no specific rhyme or reason. What is this insane obsession with categorizing others? Why cant people just be themselves and do the things they want to do?

I had stopped shaving for the past couple of days and the instant I met anyone over the age of 30, their first remark was “What’s with the Devdas look... some woman turn you down, your job not going so well. Now why would they immediately assume that I am either depressed due to my love life or am on the verge of losing my job? Is it because they saw a dude in the movies lose his lady love and drink a bottle of scotch, stop shaving, lose his job and turn to this maniac filled with anger and depression? I see no other plausible reason as to how they arrive to this conclusion.

Don’t even get me started on the whole star sign issue. I kinda feel sorry for those people whose lives are governed by their horoscopes. I have had friends who would kill for the horoscope section the moment the paper arrives so that they can see how their day will go. What ever happened to “Life’s what you make of it”. I have come to believe that the attitude of a person is what determines how they lead their lives. Take a look at someone around you who is completely negative, ever complaining and whining about life… he always finds something wrong. What’s even more pissing off is that companies are now using star signs during hiring to determine which type of person would be best suited for the job. This is definitely the worst case of bullshit if I ever heard one. Aren’t there people who share the same birth dates (even the year) and yet are complete contradictions of each other?

Why is it that we still follow these stereotypes? Are we only playing to our egos and trying to prove that we do know all there is to know about each other?

Finally, as a quick note, I do not share any traits with Devdas and neither am I a disgruntled worker. I only hope that you would take me for who I am… unpredictable and therefore human

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home