#profile-container h2.sidebar-title {display:none;}

Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Tom-eh-to or Tom-ah-to

Was recently in a conversation with a friend and he brought up the issue about one of the reports that I had written. He said he was confused about my vocabulary and writing style. He pointed out that I tend to use both the American and British methods of spelling in my correspondence.

This got me analyzing my own writing style and guess what… its true. I spell labour with a u but spell analyze with a z. I say lift instead of elevator and fries instead of chips. I am also known to use both taxi and cab. I do not start my paragraphs with an indent either (that’s probably just ignoring the rule). I guess that being in the Hospitality industry, I am used to people of different ethnic backgrounds who either use alternative words or pronounce the same word differently and have learnt to adapt to both.

As far as I can tell, the major source of my so called vocabulary faux pas lies in the fact that I was brought up in the English curriculum and my passion for reading mostly includes American or US based authors. Another reason could be attributed to the tv shows that I watch (which are mostly American although I am a huge fan of british humour too).

In the end, tom-eh-to or tom-ah-to, who cares as long as we understand each other and I don’t get you a potato instead.

4 Comments:

Blogger Once the Conman said...

This is where spellings and grammer can go for a toss. Our blogs, we write, whatever the fuck we want to write, no editing, no holding back, no re-writing, no spell checks...
Whatever comes to mind, the minute it comes to mind... it's published.
Those who don't like it, can go take a walk.
Welcome to the world of blogs my friend.

3:48 PM  
Blogger Casablanca said...

Bingo! English education, followed by American movies. What does that lead to?

Well... I'm not complaining. English, is still english. Given that now they include french, spanish, even hindi words every year in the oxford dictionary, two different english styles is hardly a botheration :)

7:50 PM  
Blogger Big Man said...

arroclint,
we are fucked up in our own way... thats what identifies us

yours truly,
exactimondo. its my way, if they dont like it they can get the fuck out

casa,
as long as we get the point. consider the word 'rubber' and its use in these two styles.

btw 'eat my chaddis' has been added to the oxford dictionary (if u've seen 'Goodness gracious me' you'll get it)

11:45 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

You're joking! Eat my chaddis?!
Hilarious!

7:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home